Saturday, January 19, 2013

ILC Devotion 31 December 2012




Immanuel Lutheran Church Weekly Devotion
Monday 31 December 2012

+
RSV Isaiah 60:1-3  Arise, shine; for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD has risen upon you. 2 For behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and thick darkness the peoples; but the LORD will arise upon you, and his glory will be seen upon you. 3 And nations shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising.

+
As of late, I have been getting to bed earlier and also getting up earlier. This gives me the opportunity to welcome the dawn. During winter this is easier to do. I see what part of the landscape the sun will rise over; I see the light of a new day dawning. I am a creature of the light - I need to be in sunlight; I seek it out. Sunlight restores me emotionally and physically. I am glad I am in Montana and not Seattle. We have more sun light here and I am thankful.
      This is the last Monday devotion of the year. Tomorrow starts a new year. This past year has been a trying one for many of us. As a country, we have suffered through natural disaster, mayhem, drought, fire, flood, a long and acrimonious election year, and loss. The year 2012 seemed to wear on us more than other years. So what will 2013 bring? I will not make any rash predictions - but I will venture out and say: more of the same. I would hope not, but I am not very optimistic about how we behave as humans and I do not think we are in for a mild and pastoral year weather wise.
      Has the glory of the LORD risen upon us? Reflecting on this past year, we might think the LORD has abandoned us, or if not abandoning us, is not paying attention. God knows we make a mess of things, by what we say and do. God knows we suffer through calamities of our own making and in the natural world. Yet as dark as our lives can become, God sheds his light on us. The light of God comes to us as a baby born in a manger, Jesus - Son of God and Son of Man. Jesus comes and enters our world, struggles with us, lives with us, rejoices with us. Jesus knows what it is to be human. God in Christ Jesus is with us - the light never leaves. We have a hard time seeing it, but the light is with us. If we open our eyes, we can see the light, walk in the light, share the light and live in the light. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness does not overcome it.
+

We pray: At times LORD darkness envelopes us; we are lost and we despair. We are the ones who turn from the light. Forgive our waywardness, help us to turn to the light, walk in the light and live in the light. May we welcome your Son Jesus into our world and let your light shine in our lives. In Your Holy Name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment